London Eats: The Ultimate Edition

Because I've been gone in like forever, I will try to make it up for lost time. If you check my other blog (click the Heaven in a Box tab) I am still active but it's just that I've been busy baking when I'm not at work. I know excuses, excuses, excuses. So I have compiled all my fave London hang-out spots especially during lunchtime or on the way home. Here are some discoveries, secret places and some cheap spots to satisfy your tummy. Of course, most of these are sinfully good (sorry health buffs) and on the sweet side as it is obviously my preference. At least you have been warned (lol). Enjoy!

One of the things I missed is the kind of bread back home and I'm so happy to finally discover this bakery in Chinatown simply called Chinatown Bakery (no kidding). It's reminds me of Breadtalk but only the small and downgraded version in terms of the size and location of the bakery. I have also tried the breads of the other bakeries in the area but this one is a winner for me. 

Of course, the cronut craze swept the world by storm and I was a bit late to finally taste this, given that I was no way near to any of the shops who sell these and when I discovered the closest place, it involves having to queue in the morning. So I was happy when Gregg's finally had their own version. When Gregg's Nut (yes, that's how they called it) first got out, it was selling fast by midday. It just tasted so good, more like a doughtnut version 2.0 plus the texture of the croissant which I also like. I have to admit I got hooked to this for a while. 

When I learned from the morning paper that Dunkin Donuts finally arrived in the UK, I got really excited. You see, we only have Krispy Kreme here. But I was a bit disappointed because their cafes are not located close to me or in the London city centre. Until I discovered that they have a self-service donut cabinet inside WH Smith at the London Victoria train station. I had never been so happy. The only downside is that the munchkins are not available there and it's only in their cafes. Oh well, we can't always have everything.

I always put French pastries and cakes on a pedestal. For me they are on a different level, just close to perfection. Ok, the picture above doesn't do them justice but the small cakes in Patisserie Valerie are really good and I was surprised that they are so affordable too. I got these for me and hubby's birthday (our birthdays are one day after the other; very convenient) because I promised to give myself a break and not bake my own cake, for a change. 

Then I came back after a couple of days to get more cakes from the patisserie for our weekend celebration with friends. Good thing this place is close to our office. You can also request for Happy Birthday chocolate toppers.


Who wouldn't love a slice of the famous rainbow cake? I just have to try it. It's lovely to look at and of course, it tastes so sweet but only too much. I got this from the Thursday Covent Garden market from The Red Gingham Bakery stall. Because it also has many layers, it is best shared as one can't finish this in one sitting. This was for the experience too, another one ticked off my bucket list. 

One of the American chains to open in the UK is Shake Shack. I have to say they are a bit pricey than the others but it's worth it in a way. Although I have to say that their strength is more on their shakes (living up to its name of course) and other desserts which I have yet to try. And of course they give you this 'thing' whilst waiting for your order which will shake when ready (again living up to its name). Their peanut butter shake is to die for!

HEAVEN IN A BROWN BAG
"Spending my birthday lunch on this (not so) guilty pleasure. I've been wanting to eat here since I read that it has arrived in London (along with other American chain, Shake Shack). Fries (or chips for the Brits) are made of potatoes fresh from the farm (with the farm's name written on one of the wall frames; 'prolly changes from time to time). Burger patties don't look like the neatly cut processed ones but look bulky instead. Bread was really soft & fresh. You get all the toppings you want at no extra cost. I was also amazed at the touch screen dispenser for the bottomless drinks with almost all types of drinks to choose from (Cherry-Vanilla, Raspberry or Orange Coke Zero to name a few).  Queue is not that bad (8-10 mins max & time is spent more on waiting for your order that is prepared in front of you). I was able to get a seat & I'm definitely coming back next time to try their hotdog & sandwiches. #foodreview #lol"

                                                                               
                                          
And of course I came back for the hotdog sandwich and it was delish! I would definitely choose this over Shake Shack, if not for their shakes. In fact, one colleague at work got hooked to Five Guys too (after my recommendation).

                            
And did I say you can also get these monkey peanuts for free whilst waiting for your food? I only knew about this after a few trips. I thought before that they were just for decoration purposes. Silly me! 

                                       
                          
I just love pretzels! There are only a few pretzel stalls here and I've only seen 3 so far and one of them already closed. There are pretzels sold in the bakery/pastry aisles in supermarkets but they are not that good (sorry). So I was ecstatic when I discovered on my new route home that there is this pretzel stall called Knot. You just cannot escape the smell of freshly baked pretzels whenever changing train platforms. Oh the temptation! I have tried both savoury and sweet flavours and although a bit pricey, they are worth it! They also have small and big sizes available.

I guess that's it for now. I will try to have an Asian & Italian theme for London Eats next time (and maybe another one on summer drinks/coolers). Who knows when I'll be back again. Haha


Comments

Popular Posts